Friday, March 11, 2011

Broccoli Salad

Ironically, back when I was really thin (yes, there was such a time), I didn't like salads too much. Now that I'm not so thin anymore, I love them. Why things work out this way, I do not know.

Now, one of my by far favorite treats is broccoli salad. Our good friend made us some recently, and hers is my favorite broccoli salad in the world. She says she uses Souplantation's recipe as a base, but subs in different vinegar. I don't know--I love Souplantation's broccoli salad, and my friend's is so much better.

This is how she made it recently, which is very similar to Souplantation's recipe:

Salad
1 bag precut broccoli
1/3 c. raisins
Optional: red onion, sunflower seeds, bacon crumbles (she usually adds these)

Dressing

1 c. mayo
1/3 c. sugar
2 T. white wine vinegar

Mix salad ingredients and dressing separately, and then combine in large glass bowl. Serve right away or let sit for up to a day. (Souplantation calls for apple cider vinegar--I think vinegar choice must be key to this recipe. Just a guess...)

My mom makes it very similarly, but she sometimes adds dried cranberries. She uses red vinegar. I always make mine a little differently.

Salad

2-3 broccoli crowns, chopped (or 1 bag precut broccoli)
1/2 c. bacon crumbles
1/4 c. thinly slivered red onion
1/2 c. chopped cashews or almonds
1 c. chopped red grapes

Dressing

1/2 c. cashews
Juice of a lemon (to taste)
Sprinkle of minced garlic
Water (to desired consistency)
Drizzle honey or agave for sweetness
Salt and pepper

Blend dressing ingredients, adding water to taste. Mix with salad ingredients in a large bowl. Best let to sit for several hours before serving. This is a twist on a raw recipe (notice the lack of mayo), and we honestly like it just as well as we like the full mayo version.

What's fun about this salad is how versatile it is. It can be a whole meal with crackers, a side, or one of several salads offered buffet style for a lunch. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment